This dessert is a fantastic alternative to the usual Christmas pudding or chocolate log.
- 1 Waitrose Stem Ginger Loaf Cake
- 5 oranges, plus extra juice as necessary
- 5 tbsp Pedro Ximénez Sherry or other sweet sherry
- 500g pot Waitrose Seriously Creamy Madagascan Vanilla Custard
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 25g toasted, chopped pistachios, to decorate
- Cut the cake into 3–4 long slices, then into triangles (or little houses, if you prefer) and use to line the base and sides of a large glass serving dish. Grate the zest from 2 of the oranges. With a serrated knife, remove the peel and any white pith from all of the oranges. Cut away the segments so that they are free of skin, working over a bowl to catch any juice.
- Measure all the orange juice to give 150ml, making it up with extra juice if necessary, then mix the juice with the sherry. Reserve 5 tbsp of this mix for the syllabub and pour the remainder over the ginger cake. Arrange the orange segments over the cake and spoon over the custard to cover the fruit.
- Whisk the cream until just thickened then whisk in the grated orange zest, caster sugar and reserved juice and sherry mix. Whisk until thick enough to just hold its shape. Drop spoonfuls over the custard to cover completely. Scatter with the toasted chopped pistachios and chill until ready to serve.
To toast pistachios, dry fry in a non-stick frying pan until golden then cool. Make the trifle, cover and keep in the fridge for up to 6 hours, adding the pistachios just before serving.
Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus chilling