New Year’s Eve is here and I’m ready to make something traditional – Hoppin’ John!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 2-3 strips bacon, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- rosemary, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- tabasco, to top
- Add chopped bacon pieces to a saute pan and cook until crispy.
- Add butter to the pan, melt and add in the onion. Saute until onion is soft, adding garlic for the last minute or so of cooking.
- Stir in black eyed peas, chicken broth, rice, salt, ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cover and simmer 40- 45 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Let sit 10 minutes then fluff it all up with a fork and enjoy!
- Top with a dash of tabasco or your favorite hot sauce!
Notes: Some rice brands may require a bit more/less liquid. Always check your package and adjust as necessary. Mine said 2 cups, but I find that’s too much so I reduce it to 1¾ cups.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 min