Juicy, flavour loaded burgers. With all the essential trimmings! KEY TIP: Make a dent in the patties, that way they won’t shrink and deform while cooking.
- 1.4 lb / 700 g ground beef (beef mince) (Note 1)
- 1 onion, grated (brown, white or yellow), squeezed of excess juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional – extra flavour boost)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 large rashers of bacon, or 12 rashers of streaky bacon
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 4 hamburger buns, cut in half
- 4 slices tasty or cheddar cheese
- Tomato ketchup, tomato sauce of BBQ sauce
- Place the Beef Burger ingredients in a bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined.
- Divide into 4 balls and flatten into patties that are slightly larger than the hamburger buns (because they will shrink slightly when cooking). The patties should be about 1½ cm / ⅔ inches.
- Indent the centre of the patties slightly using your thumb. This stops the Beef Burger from becoming a dome shape and shrinking as it cooks.
- Place patties in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Or overnight if you are making these in advance.
- Turn oven on very low (for keeping bacon and onion warm).
- Heat oil in large heavy based pan over high heat, or BBQ. (See note 2)
- Add bacon and cook to your liking. For hamburgers, I like mine browned but not crisp. Remove bacon from pan and place on a tray, pop into the oven to keep warm.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until browned and soft. Place in the oven with the bacon to keep warm.
- Place patties in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the underside is nicely browned.
- Flip the Beef Burgers and cook the other side for 1 minute. Then place a slice of cheese on each Beef Burger, cover with lid (see note 1) and cook for a further 1 to 1½ minutes until nicely browned (or to your liking) and the cheese is melted.
- Remove Beef Burgers from the pan and set aside to rest, loosely covered with foil.
- While the burgers are resting, crack the eggs into the pan and cook to your liking.
- Lightly toast the hamburger buns (optional).
- To assemble, spread tomato ketchup on the hamburger bun. Top with lettuce and tomato, then the Beef Burger, bacon then onion, and lastly egg. Place top of hamburger bun on top.
- Serve immediately!
1. No need for fancy gourmet ground beef/mince here! This is a recipe for SUPERMARKET beef!
2. Use a pan with a lid if you can (you need a lid to melt the cheese on the patties), or get a baking tray you can place on top of the pan (even if it doesn’t cover the whole pan, that’s fine, it will still seal in enough heat to melt the cheese).
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins