Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, and Sautéed Apples, welcome back into my life!
We’ve eaten this chicken skillet so many times since that run-in at Trader Joe’s, I honesty don’t know how I forgot about it in the first place. It features all of my favorite fall ingredients—sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts, and a touch of cinnamon—along with one of my favorite year-round ingredients, BACON. I love that it’s made in single pan, is healthy and filling, and reheats well too.
Today’s version of the recipe is almost identical to the original version I posted back in 2012. I clarified a few things in the recipe directions to make them easier to follow and added the nutritional information. The recipe is also Paleo and Whole 30 approved, so if you are following either diet, you can enjoy it too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium low. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp and brown and the fat has rendered, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate (I simply laid another paper towel on top of the plate with the chicken, then stacked the bacon on that). Discard all but 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat from the pan.
- Increase skillet heat back to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and serve warm.
Yield: Serves 4
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes