Once again knocking with a vegetarian recipe, I just feel like we should be little more devoted towards the fruits & vegetables instead of meat and poultry. Jokes apart can’t drop down chicken 😉 Coming to the dish now, I am pretty you might have tried the dish I am going to talk about, If not its great but if yes no issues you can still along maybe I or you have missed some important steps.
So today we are going to experiment with rice and black beans, and yeah beans are my favorite full of proteins and several nutritious stuff. I have grown up eating a bunch before heading to bed. When the beans are mixed with rice its tastes as more than awesome.
Heading to the ingredients and steps involved.
Cuban Black Beans & Rice
serves about 6 as a main course or 8-10 as a side | prep time: 25 minutes | bake time 30 minutes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. minced fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- 1 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 c. long-grain white rice, well-rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
*optional garnishes – such as sliced scallion, lime wedges and/or chopped mango
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees f. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the peppers and onions and cook, stirring often until the veggies have softened and are beginning to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, oregano and cumin, stir until the tomato paste is dispersed into the sauteed veggies and is very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice, stir to coat.
2. Stir in the beans, water, bay leaf, salt and vinegar. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and place in the oven. Bake until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, fluff the rice with a fork. Let stand, uncovered for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with desired garnishes.