THIS COOKIE BUTTER CAKE PAIRS FLUFFY VANILLA CAKE WITH A SWEET COOKIE BUTTER FROSTING AND CRUSHED SPECULOOS COOKIES FOR SOME ADDED CRUNCH.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
Cookie Notti Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (cubed, room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Penotti Smooth Cookie Notti Spread
- Penotti Crunchy Cookie Notti Spread
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour three 6″ cake rounds, line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3mins).
- Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of buttermilk). Fully incorporating after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for approx. 25-30mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire rack.
Cookie Notti Buttercream:
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add Cookie Notti spread and mix until smooth.**
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a thin layer of Crunchy Cookie Notti on the cake. Top with 2/3 cup of frosting and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers and apply a thin coat of frosting all over the cake. Chill for 20mins.
- Frost and smooth the sides. Decorate with rosettes and crushed Speculoos cookies if desired.
* Ensure there is NO trace of egg yolks in your whites and that your mixer bowl and whisk is completely grease free or your meringue won’t stiffen.
** The buttercream may look like it’s curdled at some point. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.
Prep Time: 2 hr
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 2 hr 30