The Caprese (tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar) combination is one of the worlds best ingredient combinations…and then you add avocado into the mix and things get totally crazy. Avocados are healthy, they’re creamy, they have a mellow yet incredible flavor, and they pair perfectly with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella.
- 2 (10 – 11 oz each) boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 4 avocado slices (from a firm but ripe large avocado)
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Tbsp balsamic glaze (I used Bertolli)
- 1/3 cup chopped basil ribbons
- In a bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each chicken cutlet.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken (cover pan with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Rotate and cook opposite side until chicken has nearly cooked though, reducing burner temperature just slightly if needed, about 4 – 5 minutes (it should be nearly 160 in center on an instant read thermometer) then add two slices of mozzarella to the top each cutlet, followed by one avocado slice, and 1 – 2 tomato slices.
- Cover pan with lid, return to heat and allow to cook 1 – 2 minutes longer until cheese has melted and chicken registers 165 in center.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe source: Cooking Classy